Lower School (LS) students at SPS are empowered as they discover answers to questions and navigate the fascinating world around them. These First through Fourth Grade years, which are rich in reading, problem-solving, and collaborating, invite students to take intellectual risks, think critically, and develop independence and self-awareness.
HALLMARKS OF THE SPS LOWER SCHOOL EXPERIENCE
- Academic Excellence: Language Arts and mathematics are taught by homeroom teachers daily. Students mix with grade-level peers for science and social studies three times per week.
- Declamation: First through Fourth Graders gain confidence and experience speaking publicly at monthly Declamations.
- Recess: Students learn through play, enjoying two supervised recesses daily. During recess, independent play is encouraged and organized games like Wiffle ball are facilitated on both Wiggins Field and the schoolyard.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL): LS students participate actively in our SEL curriculum, practicing skills for mindfulness, managing emotions, and conflict resolution.
- Specials: Twice a week, students learn French, create art, and study music. They travel to Old Pine Community Center to practice and play sports three times per week.
LOWER SCHOOL SIGNATURE LEARNING EXPERIENCES
For more information about the Lower School at SPS, please contact Matt Evans, Assistant Head of School and Director of Third – Eighth Grades at firstname.lastname@example.org and Kate Seltzer, Director of Preschool – Second Grades at email@example.com.