St. Peter’s School’s strong educational foundation is laid in the Early Childhood Division (ECD), where child-directed learning, imagination, and play are fostered. In these Preschool through Kindergarten years, students access the intellectual tools to solve their own problems and develop a love for learning through sensory, hands-on experiences.
Located on the first floor, our ECD space is designed to accommodate the needs of young children. Wiggins Field and the Old Pine Community Center gymnasium provide additional spaces and equipment for a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
HALLMARKS OF THE ECD EXPERIENCE AT SPS
- Academic Foundations: Students are introduced to early academic skills and concepts in the areas of vocabulary, phonological awareness, science, and mathematics through daily interactive lessons and Morning Meeting.
- Play: Through daily indoor and outdoor play, students develop socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively. Curiosity, creativity, and collaboration are fostered.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL): Core concepts including kindness, forgiveness, and gratitude are modeled and nurtured. Mindfulness and meditation are incorporated daily.
- Specials: Students participate in weekly French, yoga, art, music, and library classes.
- STEAM Lab: Students engage in hands-on, exploratory learning in the STEAM Lab (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics).
For more information about the Early Childhood Division of St. Peter’s School, please contact Kate Seltzer, Director of Preschool – Second Grades: email@example.com.